This past weekend we took the Laurels on a college road trip. It was so much fun! We started on Wednesday night by visiting the U of U institute. The girls got a tour of the building, information about the classes, learned about the importance of institute, and also got to hang out in the game room eating treats. After when we were just hanging out, one of the teachers was talking to the girls. He asking questions such as: What do you think about the facility? Where do you live? What grade are you in/When do you graduate? And what school do you want to go to? When he got to the last two questions, he turned to me and wanted a response as well! I passed as a high school student! MADE. MY. NIGHT! I told him I was a senior, and I thought the U had a great campus. I couldn't really hold a straight face though, so who knows if he believed me?
We continued with the road trip starting Friday morning. We went down to U of U and met with some of the departments that the girls are interested in. They got information about how to get into programs, different things they would study, and prerequisites for the program. This helped the girls get a feel for what would be required of them.
We then took a tour of the a campus. It was amazing! They took such great care of us. The girls learned more about the application process, financial aid, and enrollment for the school. They provided us with free t-shirts, jamba juices, and lunch afterward. We were there during lunch time, so the girls got a feel of campus life. They were all ecstatic and checking out every boy that walked by.
We were lucky enough to meet with Pres. Holland (Elder Holland's son) after our tour. He was so cool to talk to, very down to earth. He talked about the importance of an education, and the rising demand for women to be educated.
We then hopped in the cars, and went up to USU. We stayed in a college apartment. The girls loved the feeling of "college life" hanging out with their friends. We played games and laughed all night.
Saturday morning we went to the USU campus. There they gave us housing information and a tour of some of the dorms. And again, they fed us lunch as well. We got royalty treatment all weekend. Before we left Logan, we went to see the Logan temple. We talked about the importance of secular education, but the most important is our spiritual education.
We then hopped back in the cars and went down to UVU again. We got to attend the basketball game that night (tickets complimentary of UVU.) The girls loved the school spirit, and sitting in the student section. I'm sure they weren't very thrilled to have their leaders there with them.
This was an amazing experience. This fired the girls up for school. Before we left their were some not sure if they would go to school, if they could afford it. But by the end of the trip they were all pumped and excited for their college life! I even got some information to take some classes as well. We'll see....






2 comments:
What a fun idea!!! who did you have to talk to to get all of that set up? How fun to get to spend the night too! I bet the girls loved it!!!
I wish my leaders would have done this for me when I was in high school. Tell the girls that if any of them are interested in SUU I can help them out. I'd love to have any of them come stay with me! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Post a Comment