11.17.2008

Our Family Vacation

***PICTURE OVERLOAD***


On Tuesday Nov. 11th we woke the kids up early and gave them some new t-shirts Mike had bought them at the Disney store ($ saver tip #1.) We told them we had a fun day planned for them. They all thought we were going to Boondocks for the day. Little did they know we had packed their suitcases and we were headed to Disneyland. It was fun to see the anticipation on their face as we passed different places along the way to the airport. They never guessed where we were going. Once we pulled up to the airport, I made them put the clues together.

1) we are at the airport

2) we have suitcases in the back of the car

3) you all have Disney shirts on.

They all said at the same time....We're going to Disneyland!!!!!


Things were going as planned until we arrived at the airport and we tried to check in. In all the excitement I failed to check my ID. I guess I didn't realize that my driver's license expired back on my birthday so they wouldn't let me on the plane. Luckily Mike's mom was off for the day and she was so nice to go over to our house get my passport and drive it all the way to the airport and we were able to catch the next flight. Kaylee was a little freaked out that we would never make it to Disney. The kids loved going on a airplane and seeing all the little things below.





Once we arrived in California we headed over to California Adventure. We were already so tired from a long day at the airport and it was SO busy (I think everybody in the state of California celebrates Veteran's day) so we only spent a few hours there and then we were done for the day! They had a fun High School Musical show that Kaylee loved and a fun Pixar parade. After that we went over to Costco to stock up on some food for the rest of our trip ($ saver tip #2.)

The next day we spent the day at Disney with Becca and Gerry. The kids had so much fun. I love the look on Kaylee's face in the picture below when she saw the princess castle for the first time. She was so excited! We just had the best time. The park wasn't crowed and we were able to get in on all the rides.



The kids loved walking around the park finding all the characters and having them sign their books. Kade was especially happy to see Mickey. He told him like 5 times that he had Mickey ears. Every time we would try to take a picture Kade was just staring at the character.


Thursday morning Mike's mom and aunt flew into town to spend the rest of our trip with us. After we picked them up from the airport we headed down to Santa Monica Pier for a day. It was so beautiful! We thought it was going to be cold so we didn't take swim suits or anything. The kids were so excited to be at the beach that they just jumped right in without bathing suits. I think they quickly figured out if they ruined the outfit they were in it meant they got a new one (non-money saving tip #1.) Becca and Gerry also met us here and we all had lunch at Bubba Gumps. Unfortunately due to the high traffic in California we couldn't spend more time with them, but we would have LOVED to spend more time here.









One of the things on the girls TO DO list while we were in Cali was to find the American Girl store. This place is so fun, and I think one of the highlights of Kaylee's trip. We probably could have spent a lot more time here if her 2 brother's weren't with us. I don't think this was a highlight for them.




Friday we spent another day at Disney. We got the traditional Disney pictures.



For lunch we went and had lunch with all the Disney princesses. Kaylee was in HEAVEN!



Kade's favorite part of the day was going to Toontown and seeing Mickey's house. He waited the whole trip for this! He was so good waiting in the stroller while everybody went on all the rides. He just wanted to ride everything, he kept saying, "I bigger" and he would raise his hands above his head. So finally this was his time to be able to get out and play around. He loved it.



And finally our last day we drove down to San Diego to go to Sea World. The weather was perfect (90 degrees!!!!) and we had so much fun! We got in to see the shows (Kade got to see "shampoo.) And the kids got to feed the dolphins. This was one of my favorite days. When we got back to our hotel it was still early enough so we decided to go out to eat at the Cheesecake Factory. YUMMY! After that we came back and got ready to head back home bright and early the next morning.



The kids learned to chum up to the pilots and let them know that their Grandpa might be directing our flight. The pilots always treated them so nicely and they evenly let them get in and sit in the pilots seat. This made the kids feel pretty cool!



We had an awesome time but I think we were all ready to come home. I think this is how we all felt by the end of the trip. Just plain tired!! I think next time we will cut the trip short by a day or two. Now here's to recovering!


11 comments:

Clements Family said...

I have been so excited to hear about your trip! Looks like you guys had a blast!! I love the picture of Kade asleep! I am glad that you were able to get shirts for them before you left...it made for an exciting suprise!

Alison said...

It looks like you had so much fun! I am glad you found the American Girl store, too!

Nicole said...

Looks like you guys alot of fun! We love Dinseyland.

The Lind's said...

Cute pictures! You had a busy trip! Looks like it turned out a big hit!! I am glad you guys had fun and let us join in the fun! Thanks for a great time at Disneyland and Bubba's. We loved seeing you guys! Oh that's cool about sitting in the pilot seat. I bet the kids loved that! At 1st I was thinking how crazy to have the plane flying with the pilot not focused... I would totally panic...haha...you were landed! Come on I just woke up!!

Christie said...

It looks like you guys had a blast. I can't wait until next year when we go!!!

Mikesell Family said...

Yeah it looks like you had a good time. How crappy about your ID. At least you still made it. I want to take my kids to Sea World sometime. Maybe that will be our next vacation to look forward to.

The Balls said...

That is the funnest thing I have heard in a LONG time! I loved the shirt idea. I have been begging Brandon to go Cali! I guess I will live through your awesome pics instead!

Bridget said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! Glad you're back safe! Sorry about Cade's head! Poor little guy!

Sara said...

That looks so fun!! We are going to Disneyland in December and I bought Samantha that same exact Cinderella dress for it! Random, my mother-in-law called me today to see if I knew anyone who had done the lunch with the princesses. She has been trying to plan it but cannot figure who to call to set it up. Any suggestions?

Meg said...

That looks like so much fun!! I want to go to Disneyland so bad with the kids. What a great way to surpise the kids. Cute pictures!

{Brittany} said...

I'm so jealous! What a fun vacation. I LOVE that you surprised your kids. I don't know if I'd be able to keep the secret!