1.19.2010

Slightly Successful....

DO NOT LET THESE PICTURES FOOL YOU!!!

Our History with Kaylee and the Dentist is not good. She is absolutely, undoubtably TERRIFIED of the dentist. The other day she told me she had a tooth ache. My stomach instantly dropped, I knew I had to endure an appt. with her. It took me about 2 days to convince her the only way her tooth would feel better, is to see the dentist. We have been talking about it, and she finally felt good about it. I was relieved. So, today was the big day. I picked her up from school and she was all happy and chatty. I thought to myself, "this is going to be a breeze." She acted a little nervous when we pulled into the parking lot but warmed up as soon as she found something to play with. But the minute they called her name she started crying. Here we go again. I was physically picking her up trying to put her in the chair, she would not let go of me. Anytime the assistant would pick up anything she would scream. You would think someone was coming at her with a chain saw. It took about 15 minutes to convince her to actually lay down in the chair, and that was just to watch Hannah Montana. The assistant left us alone so she could get used to the chair. But as soon as she came back, it started all over again. I'm not sure what finally convinced her that it would be ok, but she finally calmed down. She let the dentist look at her teeth, and finally let the assistant clean them. Then she started giggling like it was the best thing ever. I chalk today up as successful because I didn't walk away with scratch marks on my body this time. But my stomach once again dropped when I heard the dentist say she had a cavity. So tomorrow we get to go through this all again. I convinced him to give her a prescription for Valium (I'm thinking I might need one too.) I'm hoping this calms her and we can get through the appt. It would be a much less expensive option. Last time she had a cavity she had to go to a pediatric dentist and be put to sleep. Wish us luck!


2 comments:

The Lind's said...

Poor Kaylee!!...and mom! I too am terrified of the dentist! Okay I am better with them now that I am old...who doesn't love clean teeth! However this fear has made me a very thero (sp?) brusher and flosser! Good luck to both of you tomorrow!

Meg said...

Make sure they give her laughing gas, too. Ethan sat in the chair for over an hour getting three fillings done and I think the laughing gas is what did it. That's no fun at all....good luck!