9.22.2008

Busy, Fun Weekend

I have been working really hard on building my food storage but I have also wanted to learn how to do some things for myself in case I ever need these skills. I went and bought a bunch of yummy peaches and decided I wanted to learn how to can them. My good friends Krista and Sherri came over and we made a day of it. My stove took so long to heat up, it took so long to get those 2 big pots of water boiling. It was a fun day though, we had lunch together, the kids played and I finally have joined the "canning club." I swear there is a little secret club out there. When I went to buy all my jars and lids and stuff all these women at the store were all the sudden my secret little friends. They saw the jars in my cart and and smile at me and say, "Oh your canning today, what are you canning? I canned tomatoes yesterday." I got that from like 3 or 4 people. One women told me where to go to buy my stuff because she had already been to 2 other stores to check out prices. So if you ever want to join the "club" let me know it seems easier to do it with someone else...and a lot more fun.






I also made a REALLY yummy peach cobbler tonight with my peaches. And it was super easy. Thanks Krista for the recipe. Hopefully it's ok to share

Peach Cobbler
Poor 2 bottles of peaches in the bottom of a 9x13 pan with juices
Sprinkle a generous amount of cinnamon and sugar on top of that
Pour a white or yellow cake mix on top of that and then pat it down so it's moist from the juices.
Melt one cube of butter and pour on top
Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top again

Bake at the same temp. that cake mix says to bake at. I cooked it for about 35 min.



Friday night Brayden had a soccer game. He is loving his team and enjoying playing so much. Kaylee has made some friends with the players little sisters and Kade just enjoys being there and stealing the players balls and kicking them around while they are playing the game. During the game Kade stripped down his shirt and put on Brayden's sweatshirt. It is so fun to watch them and see how much they have learned so far this year, some of these boys are so good!

Saturday morning I decided to have a yard sale. I have accumulated so much stuff and I just couldn't bear just taking it to the D.I. I had so many baby boy clothes, a double stroller (that I had barely ever used.) I had a bunch of really good pants that I can no longer fit into, we had a weed whacker. I talked the kids into clearing out their toys and they got to keep the money that they earned (they made about $20..they were ecstatic!!) So I decided it was yard sale time! I enlisted the help of my friend Brandi, who did some advertising for me, we borrowed some pre-made signs from another neighbor. And we were set! Overall we did pretty good. My goal was to make enough money to buy a new desk and I hit my goal! The kids were funny once the traffic died down they stood on the corner and tried to drive traffic towards our house.






Mike is all gung ho for a yard sale next year. He wants the circle full of people saleing things. He says the yard sale thing is addicting. He's gonna have give aways and music and everything. So start saving your "junk" because believe me, people will buy it!

Saturday night we had the opportunity to go to the last Real game that will be held at Rice Eccles Stadium. We have had a lot of fun memories at the games there, but we are excited for the new stadium. It was cold and rainy but we enjoyed ourselves (even though we didn't stay til the end.) Have I ever mentioned that Mike is weird about staying until the end of things??? Brayden was a little bugged by it, just like his Grandpa always was.





Sunday I had sharing time. My topic was Heavenly Father knows me. He will answer my prayers in ways that are best for me. I was excited for this topic because I feel like I have had first hand experience with this especially this month. I have had an overwhelming feeling that my Heavenly Father is watching out for me and that I can turn to him for anything. The problem is trying to get that into the head of little three year olds who would rather be playing with their neighbor. I wish so bad I could have left Sunday making each one of them realize this. But what was I expecting? Here I am 27 and I just barely truly recognizing it for myself. It's a good thing I'm not their only teacher, I'm not the only one that has to teach them this, they have a lifetime to learn this. If they could only grasp this concept now, their life would be so much easier.

3 comments:

Bree said...

Wow busy weekend... You can do that cobbler with canned cherrys too, I like to switch it up. It is super yummy for how easy it is to make huh! I wish I was there for your lesson on sunday, there have been so many times you post things I swear were meant for me to here.

Clements Family said...

Hey...can I join the club??? I really need to learn how do those things! Sounds so fun! You guys were super busy!

Amazed said...

I remember when I was so excited to join the club. Now I'm hoping to get kicked out!