12.07.2007

Gender Confusion, Crazy Kids, and What Do I Do?

Mike is gonna love it that I am posting this picture. Look at this poor kid, I think he is so confused about his gender. He is wearing a dress, a cape and carrying a sword. He hangs out with Kaylee all day who wants to play Barbie's and dress-up and then Brayden gets home from school and wants to play cars, ball and swords with him. So I'm at a loss, what do I do. I don't know what to buy the poor kid for Christmas. Do I buy him a Barbie and some high heels? Or do I buy him some cars and sword. The sad thing is I think he might be more excited for a Barbie. Sorry Mike.

He has started to develop his own little personality. Some days he's the devil himself and other days he is just so sweet. I love that he is starting to talk and wanting to do things just like the big kids. He is so fun. I just went to get his pictures taken and they turned out so cute. It just reminded me that maybe he's not turning out to be the devil that I think he is. It just reminds me I need to step back and enjoy more of the "little" moments. I like this quote that was given at conference time:

Remember that it takes a lot of patience to raise a child. As precious as they are, children can be exasperating, frustrating, and sometimes even naughty. It takes a tremendous amount of patience and restraint in order to avoid doing or saying things we will later regret. Sometimes parents need to put themselves in “time-out” in order to avoid making serious mistakes. Removing yourself from the room for a minute in order to regain control is often very helpful.(Barbara Thompson)
I just thought this was a funny picture of the kids. It truly shows their personalities. They had put on our Christmas stockings for shoes and were walking around the house. Crazy Kids!
So now what to do with my little Kaylee. I need suggestions, I need feedback. She is like the Tasmanian devil when it comes to her bedroom. We can clean it spotless, organize it, cleared it out and within seconds...it's destroyed. I DO NOT know what to do. I have threatened her, Santa Claus is not coming! I have grounded her, but ya know "she is only 4 years older and 4 year old girls can't clean rooms." As a matter of fact her friend just walked into her room as I'm writing this and said "Boy Kaylee your room sure is messy." She said, "Sure is. I'll just wait my mom will probably clean it. If not maybe my Grandma will come clean it." That little brat! She knows exactly what she's doing! Santa Claus has to come to our house so I have to fix this problem I just don't know what to do. Any suggestions? Why can't parenting come with a manual?

Children are generally very accepting of their parents and the mistakes parents make. They often forgive, forget, and move on much more quickly than adults do. Don’t feel guilty. Apologize when you have made a mistake. Seek the child’s forgiveness. Change your ways and move on.(Barbara Thompson)

7 comments:

The Lind's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Lind's said...

Heather,
(I had to delete the one above, my spelling and grammer are terrible!)That quote I so needed this morning! About putting myself in timeout before I say or do something I will regret! I better remember this one tomorrow! Your stories about your kids crack me up! Dirty or clean room, they still are adorable! I can't wait to see you all!! Becca

Jamey said...

Heather, I am wondering if I should leave a comment on this - because it may seem strange how I found your blog. But I always think about you this time each year, since you would always send Christmas cards to us. I just started a blog not too long ago, and so I decided I would see if I typed your name in, if I could possibly find one from you. I was surprised. I can't believe how big your kids are!!! I think the last time I talked to you, was over 2 1/2 years ago, and I don't think that I have seen you since my wedding, (as much as you can see someone on that day!). Those elves of your brothers were funny. I can't even remember the last time that I saw them, probably about 15 years ago maybe.

My mom was up here with me not too long ago and she asked if I knew how your mom was doing, but I said that I hadn't talked to you in years. This is what I love about the blogging world, you can find old friends. I hope it doesn't seem weird that I found your blog. I hope you have a Merry Christmas!!! I think that we only live about 30 min. from each other now. Well, this is getting really long, but it is nice to catch up with old friends. I have so many wonderful memories with you in them!

Jamey (Moore) Tobler

Kathy said...

Heather,
Your stories about Kaylee and Kade sound just like Kyra. She plays cars and trains with her princess outfit on. Also she makes big messes. I finally got her to stop bringing her toys out of the playroom, but now she just trashes the playroom, who knows. She doesn't believe the whole santa is watcing her thing either, she told me he is at South Towne mall so he can't see her.Hope you guys are doing good.
The Ebys

The Bullocks said...

I was laughing so hard at Kade. That was so Tyson last year he would always play dress-ups with Bailee. so last year for christmas he got fire man, cow boy, and construction worker dress-ups to try and help the situation.
with Kaylee, I was going to tell you what my friend did with her boys, I think it is such a good idea. she organized all of her toys into different bins, then she locks them into a toy closet and every day she lets her kids pick out one bin to play with. at the end of the day or after a couple of days, she'll let them switch out bins. she said the other toys get played with a lot more, instead of just overwhelmed with a bunch of toys. as soon as I get a closed that I can lock I am doing that. I think is seems like such a good idea. and I hate to clean up just to know it will get trashed. good luck

Anonymous said...

My little grandkids can do whatever they want and if they need me to come help them clean, I'll be right there.

{Brittany} said...

I love your cute stories and the wonderful quotes! I definitely needed those today. Also, don't feel bad about Kade. Parker doesn't have any sisters and he wants a dollhouse for Christmas. I love it!! I love your Mom's comment...she is SOOOOO related to my Dad. It sounds EXACTLY like something he would say. They are the biggest push overs for Grandparent's, but they were never that way when we were growing up!!