3.05.2008

Boring vs. Fun


A couple years ago Dr. Taylor Hartman came and spoke at an enrichment night we had at our church. He explained so many things that had puzzled me about Mike, about myself, why our personalities were so different. Since then I have been intrigued with The Color Code, I feel like it just hits our personalities so dead on! So recently I have been reading The People Code by Dr. Taylor Hartman. It talks about peoples motive and why they do the things they do. If you haven't taken the The Color Code test here is the link and you can take it online for free.


http://www.thecolorcode.com/abouthartman.html#

If you know your personality color, post a comment. I love reading more about people's personality's. It helps me figure them out and communicate better with them.

So, until we came across The Color Code I couldn't figure my husband out. I struggled to know why things just didn't get done. Basically what I learned is that if it doesn't have the word FUN in it, he's not interested, he's checked out and onto the next fun thing. The thing I can be grateful for is he has a titch of red in him that carries into the work place. But by the time he's off work "bye bye responsibility hello play time." Some other things I have learned about my wonderful husband and other yellow personalities:

- they can't commit. Yellows start more projects then any other personality but successfully complete the fewest.

-They do things simply for the sake of enjoying it.

-They have a mental attitude that allows them to appreciate what they have, rather than be miserable about what they don't have.

-Yellows are restless and find sticking with tasks boring.

-They have difficulty committing to anything that takes priority over play time.

-They know all things will work out no matter how desperate the situation may become.



Mike and I are COMPLETE opposites. I think that's why we work, we can balance each other out. Now that we know why we do the things we do, instead of trying to change them (even as annoying as they may be) we just try to make it work. As a white here is what I have learned about myself and maybe for a few of you who might want to know me a little better.



- Whites are passive.

-They usually hold their true feelings safely tucked away from others who may be judgemental or disapprove of them.

-Whites are kind people and hate seeing people mistreated. If you are unkind to a white you will lose her respect.

-They are lazy! (Just try and get me moving in the morning!!!)

-Whites are stubborn. They prefer to give the silent treatment because they have a hard time trying to express their feelings. Don't assume that because a white is silent, she is compliant.

-Whites lack direction and commitment.

-Whites are boring, they like to be entertained by others or be by themselves.

-They don't speak up for themselves.

-They can't make decisions. But absolutely hate it when someone tries to control you.

-They are even tempered and make the best children (and yes I would have to say that I was the best child.)



So as you can see I am boring and Mike likes to have fun. Mike likes the social scene, I would much rather be at home curled on the couch. I like to fly under the radar, Mike likes to be noticed. but somehow it works. He pulls me off the couch and gets me excited about life but at the same time I calm him down and give him a list of projects when needed.

5 comments:

busymama said...

that yellow list is RIGHT ON!! I wish I was a little more fun too, but I guess it's not in my code!

The Lind's said...

Hey I have always wanted to take this test. I just finished and it said I was yellow. Which I agree with a lot but think I maybe I lied or something because I thought I had a lot of red in me...who doesn't like power. But it makes sense being yellow and never following through on comminting to projects! That is so my life. Gerry would totally agree! I am yellow. Thanks. I am making Gerry take this. Reading about it, I think for sure he is blue but I am excited to find out.
That was fun! Thanks!

Kathy said...

I am a white too. I will have adam take it too. He kind of sound yellow too. Thanks for that link that was really interesting.

Jamey said...

I am a white too. I think I will have Brad take this so we can see if we are the same, or opposites. Thanks for the link!

Amazed said...

I'm a little late posting since I've been out of town but I just want to say, The Color Code changed my life! I couldn't understand my relationship with one child...half the time we were totally in sync and the other half totally crazy with each other. I was a blue and he was a red/yellow. The red and blue is lethal! And I had a red friend that totally creamated me on a regular basis. I didn't have one red. That was about 15 years ago. I read about the weaknesses of blue's....tried to toughen up and "get over things"....and since my kiddos are grown, my yellow personality has come back...and where I didn't have one red characteristic 15 years ago, now I have plenty. I have learned so much from this book. (p.s. Taylor Hartman lives in my Stake.....)