6.15.2008

"Any man can be a Father but it takes someone special to be a dad."


Happy Father's Day! This is always a great day to show our Father's how much we appreciate them. However, this Father's Day is a little bitter-sweet without Mike's dad. We always struggled to find him the perfect gift, he was so hard to shop for because he never wanted or needed anything. But I would love to have that struggle this year, I would love to be buying something more then flowers for him this year.



I have been pondering a lot about the little things that we learn from our Dad's and what a great asset they are to our lives. Growing up you watch your parents so closely and want to be so much like them, and now it's scary thinking we have little ones that are watching what we do and say and wanting to be just like us. I am grateful for the Father's I have in my life, each one a great example to me, and somehow they have touched my life and made me a better person because of who they are.



I was talking to a friend about how our Dad's are so handy, and can basically do anything. And somehow, maybe do to laziness, or lack of interest, or maybe it's just because we weren't taught, but these skills somehow skipped a generation. I don't think my husband will take offense to this because he knows he's challenged in the "handy" category (though he is doing better.) I am grateful that our Father's have these skills. I hope I can learn some of them, and I know Mike is also trying to learn some of them as well. But one day they won't be here and we won't have them available to see how to fix something. That's a little scary to me.


I have so many great pictures of me and my dad when I was little that I wanted to post but I couldn't get my scanner to work. I love this one of him and my kids though.



Life doesn't come with an instruction book; that's why we have fathers.--


H. Jackson Brown, Jr.


I have learned so many things from the dad's in my life. I have learned patience. I have learned that I don't need to sweat the small stuff (like it's OK to let my daughter paint my finger nails that's why they invented polish remover. I wasn't OK with it until Grandpa did it first.) I've learned that life is fun. I have learned how to swing a baseball bat, ride a 4-wheeler, ride a horse, break a fever, un-clog a drain, roast a marshmallow, kick a soccer ball, paint, putty, caulk, hammer, use a drill, measure a door (J/K.) I've learned that the most important things in life, aren't things...they are my family.



I'm finding out that family is priceless. And not only do I have my awesome dad, but I have been blessed with a wonderful step dad who stepped right in and loved us. I was blessed with an amazing father in-law who couldn't have raised my husband to be a better man and husband. And I am blessed with the most wonderful husband and daddy for my kids. I am surrounded by truly wonderful men, who will literally do anything for me. And let me tell you, I am calling all of them with my questions and problems all the time, needing their help.






I am grateful for my husband and the man that he is. I am grateful for the things he does for the family. I know he is continually trying to be a better person and husband. I know looking back I couldn't have picked a better companion for myself...he's the best. I love the way he interacts with the kids, and keeps things exciting around here (I can be quite boring without a little help.)


So Happy Father's Day to everyone, hope you have a great day!



"Walk a little slower daddy,"


said a little child so small.


"I'm following in your footsteps


and I don't want to fall."


Sometimes your steps are very fast,

Sometimes they're hard to see;

So walk a little slower,

Daddy, For you are leading me.


Someday when I'm all grown up,

You're what I want to be;

Then I will have a little child

Who'll want to follow me.


And I would want to lead just right,

And know that I was true;

So, walk a little slower,

Daddy, For I must follow you."

4 comments:

busymama said...

Hope you are all doing well today, please let Mike know that we are thingking of him (of all of you), I'm sure today is very difficult. Loved the sweet tributes, but REALLY LOVED the door comment - hehe!!

Clements Family said...

I hope that Mike enjoyed the gift you gave him! I can't wait to hear what he thought! That was the best idea ever! I love your tributes to dads!

Mikesell Family said...

Ok so I just read the part about Parker. I clicked on the link. That poor little guy. You are such a nice friend! Oh and also such a nice wife and daughter to put together that last post!

Jane Walker said...

What a nice tribute to the fathers in your life. I didn't talk about my father in law. He is awesome. He is great dad.

Jane