5.14.2009

Where Oh Where Are You???

My kids have been bugging me to go visit the grave of President Hinckley since he passed away. For some odd reason they love going to cemetery's??? We finally had some good weather so we decided to head up to the Salt Lake Cemetery. I thought we could drive up there and check it out then go home. Little did I know how HUGE that place is. We walked and walked forever! I had been telling the kids we would do something fun that day. Brayden and Kaylee were so giddy to go find the graves of all the past prophets. When we pulled up Kade just looked at me and said, "What's this place? It's not berry fun."
Too bad I found this map after we went. We really could have used it. It just shows how big the place is. We just got out of the car and started walking. I have been reading a lot about the history of the pioneers and the different trials they went through. It was so emotional for me to see all the really old grave sites and think about the sacrifice that they all made.
Some of the neat grave's that we saw were:
Joseph Fielding Smith
Wilford Woodruff
Joseph F Smith
John Taylor
David O McKay
Gordon B Hinckley and Sister Hinckley
Now that I have this map I would like to go back up there and see how many more we can find.

1 comment:

Sara said...

That is so neat that your kids were so excited to go see those graves. And you are great for taking them. Have you ever been to the Brigham Young cemetery? It's really small and kinda hidden. But it's really neat to see where he and a lot of his close family were buried. It's just up from temple square on 1st avenue. ( If you ever went to our apartment it is right next to it. Anyway, your kids are cute:)