11.15.2009

For thy good....

"One of the realities of the kingdom is that we work with each other in the midst of our imperfections. We see those imperfections as well as the traits and talents that God has blessed us with. And during this process of life together in the community of Saints, we watch each other grow. It is not surprising when we see each other grow as a result of opportunities in the kingdom. And it isn't usually just one muscle that is developed." Neal A Maxwell Ensign Aug. 2000 Insights from My Life


"All things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good." D&C 122:7

I haven't had too many callings in the church, but with the ones I have had I have been extremely blessed. Every time I have been called in, and been given the opportunity to serve in various areas, I have thought to myself, why on earth are you calling me to THAT? I have had various reactions like: terror, confusion, being overwhelmed, full on bawling (enough that the Bishop has had to call me in to receive a blessing,) excitement, and apprehension. But with every calling it has enriched my life and I have grown IMMENSELY! I know that I have served in specific callings for specific reasons.

When I was called to Primary I was not prepared for the things expected of me or the experiences I was about to have. The entire 3 years has been a growing experience for me. I truly thought I was going to be missing so much by not being in Relief Society. I was worried I was never going to have a spiritual experience in church again. But I have learned so much from the different leaders in the organization. I have been blown away by the spirit of the children. I don't think there was a Sunday that went by that I didn't cry. Every time the children open their mouths to sing, I would get goosebumps all over my body. I am SOOOO sad that I will not be able to experience these things any more. As of today I have been officially released from my calling. This has been such a hard transition for me. Because I was switched from 2nd counselor to 1st counselor about a year ago I have been able to experience all the areas of Primary. My very favorite thing has been to meet with the baptism candidates and see the joy in their eyes. It truly is an amazing experience.

We had such an awesome president. She was so organized and on top of things. She made me (well, not physically but because she called me as a counselor) stretch my comfort zone, and do things I didn't know I was capable of. I'm not sure what my next calling "adventure" will be. But I do know that it will be an opportunity for me to grow, and learn in a different area, by different people. So even though I'm not ready to let this calling go, I guess I need to move on now. Good luck to the new presidency, you will be amazing. You are going to have such an awesome experience.

3 comments:

Clements Family said...

Oh Heath...I knew you said you thought it was coming soon. What a hard day! And what a big change...not going to Relief Society for three years! I bet you were amazing in the Primary Presidency...and to think we moved right before you got put in. Three years sure does fly. I can't wait to see what you get to do next!

Kayle said...

Heather you did a wonderful job in the presidency. Rachel knew that she would be ok in primary because of all of you. We are sure going to miss you and your cute family!

Amazed said...

Change is so dang hard. It's okay to grieve.....then you'll find a new path.


Have a good service week! You're awesome!