4.30.2008

Off-Track....

Every 8 weeks I start dreading the upcoming off-track time that Brayden will soon be having. It usually starts weeks before with him mentioning to me how he knows I'm SOOO excited he's going to be off-track, and how we will get to spend SOOO much time together. And with a half smile I just grin and tell him, "Yep, SOOOO excited:)" He starts planning the many, many things we are going to "get" to do during this time. This time around I think the kids even asked if they could go to Disneyland, like it was a day trip or something. Now don't get me wrong, I really do LOVE hanging out with Brayden. He is so fun to sit and chat with, or hang out with. But after 3 long weeks of him stuck in the house, bored out of his mind, bugging the other kids, and eating everything in sight... I am so grateful for his teacher and 1st grade!


So it's that time of year again, we're off track. Granted, we're only into it 3 days (so I may be reporting differently in a week) but it's been so different this time. I'm not really sure I want him to go back to school. It has been so awesome having him home. He has been entertaining the kids all day, playing different games with them, taking them outside and playing soccer with them. I had to run to the neighbors while Kade was asleep so he was able to stay home and take care of things for the 10 minutes I was gone. If one of the kids is hungry I can ask him to fix it for them. I also love not having to rush to get up and get everybody out the door (that's the lazy me talking. Anytime I can get an extra 20 min in bed I'll take it!) He is just growing up so much and it's so nice that I'm not constantly having to watch out and take care of him, in return he is helping me do it for the other kids.


Since Brayden is off track he has been able to stay up and watch some of the late Jazz games. He has loved that, except for the big upset last night. Strategically he has it figured out how we need to win the games, he needs to play for them:) Then we will win them all.

Another thing we have enjoyed lately is reading. He has become such a good reader. I have always enjoyed reading. I love curling up with a good book and I can read for hours on end. And I think this may be a love I can pass on to Brayden. Their are so many good books I remember reading when I was a kid, and I have been so excited to read them with my kids. Well that time has come and it's so fun hearing Brayden read those stories to me. Some of his favorites include the boxcar children, Jigsaw Jones, Junie B. Jones, and his new favorite is The Magic Treehouse. Right before he went off track we placed a book order and we got books 1-30. We have been reading like crazy!


Mike has the next couple days off and I won't be babysitting, so hopefully the weather will cooperate so we can accommodate all the off track plans the kids have made. Hopefully we can have some family fun even though we won't be making it to Disneyland.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

That's awesome what a good helper. Have fun with Mike off work!

busymama said...

I'm so glad you all get a break! He is such a darling boy!!

Clements Family said...

What a big helper he is! And how great that you can stay in bed that extra time! I just can't believe how old he is getting! It is crazy! Hopefully we can do something while he is off track!

Bree said...

Man I cant wait for Addison to be my little helper. Tell him next time to look into Diseney WORLD for his off track time, we would love to have you! Cause it's only a day trip as well.