3.03.2009

How much adventure can one person get....

Wow, the things you can experience in just 2 days!!! If only we could see things through a child's eyes.

*We spotted about 200 head of deer...shot down many of them.

*Followed the tracks of coyote, bears, and deer

*Raced a car along one of the best and fastest speed tracks in history

*Witnessed a heart break

*We were served delicious meals by a gourmet chef

*We were chased by cowboy gangsters and shot at (it was hard hiding from them.)

*Went on a deep sea adventure searching for some of the rarest animals around.


Really, what we did over the past 2 days was go and visit my Grandma and Grandpa down in Filmore. They have a lot of land up on the mountain so we have access to so much adventure. We REALLY saw about 30 head of deer. They came right down to my Grandparents property. Kade kept envisioning more and more coming. He had his little cowboy gun and shot as many as he could. We followed dog tracks that Brayden was convinced were coyotes and all other sorts of animals. We played with Grandma's cars and track and made a great race way (note: the same ones that me and my brother's played with when we were younger. They may have even been my dad's when he was young.) They are the best. Cuddled on the couch and watched a disappointing episode of The Bachelor while the kids combed and did my hair. We enjoyed Grandma's good home cookin' and of course some Strawberry Pie. The kids ran and ran and ran around pretending they were bad guys/good guys. It was basically hide and seek gone country western. If you were caught you were shot down by Grandma's pretend gun (that was also my dad's when he was younger.) And before lunch we looked in Grandma's Nature I Spy books and tried to find all sorts of animals with our magnifying glass.


It's always a fun adventure when you go to their house. The kids had so much fun and came up with every possible game that they could. They can't wait to go back and finish their adventures. It just proves you don't need much to entertain them. I envy that simple life.Thinking about our weekend it reminded me of a poem that I found a couple years ago.


Son


Empty out those pockets, Son
The ones you filled with dreams
This morning, they were empty
Now they're bursting at the seams.


What have you found to save today?
What magic can you share?
Tell Mommy what you dreamed about
The what and when and where.


What treasures have you gathered, Son?
Collected on your way
To all those special places
You travel in a day


Did you catch a speedy rocket?
To a distant shiny star
And pocket rocks when leaving
To keep as your memoirs


Did you hike into the mountains
And chance to meet a bear
Then use your trusty water gun
To give that bear a scare


Did you hop a railroad car in town
Then travel far away
And bring that pretty flower back
To give to me today


Empty out your pockets, Son
They're bursting at the seams
And speak of your adventures, dear
Tell Mommy of your dreams.


-Brenda Darlene Kijowski

I love my kids and their crazy imaginations. They are always pretending to be somebody and going somewhere. They always live in the moment and have so much fun. I wish I could do this more, a lesson to learn I guess.

3 comments:

Clements Family said...

That seriously is so true. Kids have such an imagination, and are always just living in the moment. They are such great examples to us as parents.
I am glad you were able to visit your grandparents...I bet they loved it!

Bree said...

I love that, it is so sad that when your a kid you want to be big and once your big you wish you were a kid again. I love little minds, the world is so big and amazing.

Amazed said...

What a great post! I love imagination and feel bad so many people lose the joy of it! And what a lovely poem. Thanks!