I definitely feel like God is testing me at this moment in my life. He is stretching me, and pulling me, and trying to shape me into something more. It's hard and it's uncomfortable for me. I don't know what he wants out of me, what he wants me to become. But I will go and do what he asks-even if it's hard. So I bring up the question again, If you know a situation is benefiting you, shouldn't it ultimately make the trial easier to deal with? I've had a recent experience that has helped put this concept into perspective for me.
I have decided to start seeing a Chiropractor for my headaches. I feel like I have exhausted so many resources and nothing has worked, so I thought I would give this a whirl. I go a couple times a week and I am physically pulled, twisted, and stretched into many different positions. Sometimes very uncomfortable positions. Heck, I even let them poke me with needles and do acupuncture. But I deal with it because I know it's helping. Then they give me a big list of things I need to work on and re-teach my body. And although some are very hard for me (like no more tummy sleeping) I follow the list perfectly because the thought of my headaches going away is miraculous. I can physically feel the change taking place, the stress is being relieved from my neck. So to answer my own question, Yes. This situation is benefiting me therefore it makes anything that might be uncomfortable or hard easier to deal with.
Why is it that it's so easy to comply when we see immediate results? Yet when a process takes time or we don't know the outcome, it makes it so much harder to bear. I lack faith. I was so grateful for Conference recently and the lessons I got to learn on faith.
Choose faith over doubt, choose faith over fear, choose faith over the unknown and the unseen, and choose faith over pessimism. Richard C Edgely
Faith and character are intimately related. Faith in the power of obedience to the commandments of God will forge strength of character available to you in times of urgent need. Such character is not developed in moments of great challenge or temptation. That is when it is intended to be used. Your exercise of faith in true principles builds character; fortified character expands your capacity to exercise more faith. As a result, your capacity and confidence to conquer the trials of life is enhanced. The more your character is fortified, the more enabled you are to benefit from exercising the power of faith. You will discover how faith and character interact to strengthen one another. Character is woven patiently from threads of applied principle, doctrine, and obedience. Richard G Scott
We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become each day. Righteous character is a precious manifestation of what you are becoming. Richard G Scott
You show your trust in Him when you listen with the intent to learn and repent and then you go and do whatever He asks. If you trust God enough to listen for His message in every sermon, song, and prayer in this conference, you will find it. And if you then go and do what He would have you do, your power to trust Him will grow, and in time you will be overwhelmed with gratitude to find that He has come to trust you. Henry B Eyring
So, I will put my trust in him and continue to be pulled, twisted and stretched. And if nothing else, I hope one day he will come to trust me as well.
2 comments:
Oh I am glad something is working! Even if you are being twisted and pulled!
wow I was so confused when i first started reading this cuz i didn't see a talk reference in the begining and this sounded so elegant. you have a way with words and write so beautifully- loved this post! thanks for sharing:)
Post a Comment