What a sad thing, we turned on the tv last night after returning home from vacation to hear the news that our dear prophet has passed away. My heart just sank. I feel like each conference he has made some indication that it may be his last, but you never expect it. He was such an incredible man, and it's so amazing to think about all the difference he made in this world. We were watching a documentary on his life last night and his whole life was honestly devoted to this church. It was also sad for my kids to realize that he had passed away. They loved listening to him during Conference. It made them feel better when I explained to them that he was now with his sweet wife. And they both said he's with Grandpa now too. And then Brayden out of the blue said, "Mom, he's with his buddy Pres. Faust now. Everything will be fine." I was surprised that he remembered that he had passed away not too long ago. I'm grateful we have that knowledge and the peace it can bring us.
I loved listening to President Hinckley speak. He was always so insightful, and funny at the same time. I loved it when President Hinckley had finished with the sustaining of the officers of the church during the Saturday morning session, Elder Eyring had moved to his new seat on the stand. Unfortunately, they didn't show this on TV, but when President Hinckley turned around, he stood there for a moment looking at Elder Eyring, then picked up his cane and "knighted" him on his shoulder and head. I love that President Hinckey was a prophet during my time. I know all the prophets are called of god, but their was something Amazing about this man, and I'm glad I got to listen to his words. 
President Hinckley said: “[Jesus Christ’s] Atonement is the greatest event in human history. There is nothing to compare with it. It is the most fundamental part of our Father’s plan for the happiness of His children. Without it, mortal life would be a dead-end existence with neither hope nor future. The gift of our divine Redeemer brings an entirely new dimension to our lives. Because of our Savior’s sacrifice, instead of dismal oblivion, death becomes only a passage to a more glorious realm. The Resurrection becomes a reality for all. Eternal life becomes available to those who walk in obedience to His commandments” ( Australia stake conference satellite broadcast, Feb. 12, 2005).
1 comment:
What a neat tribute to Pres. Hinckley!
Post a Comment