One thing Mike and I have in common is that we love the outdoors and we love to camp. But we haven't done a lot of it in our married life. It's kind of hard with kids. We've gone camping with the luxury of a grandpa's trailer, but we haven't ever really "roughed it with the kids before. We decided that the kids were at a good age, we could finally go camping.
We loaded up the car with the camping supplies that we did have (which weren't many) and decided it was enough to get us through one night. Mistake #1. We didn't call ahead and reserve a spot we just knew one would be available when we got there. After driving up the canyon in our "non 4 wheel vehicle" for about 30 min. we decided we had lucked out. But on our way back down someone had left their spot and we were able to pull right in. It was in a dispersed area camping area which meant, no running water and no toilets. Mistake #2. It ended up being beautiful though. It was right by a stream. The kids had fun throwing rocks and soaking their feet.
The boys had fun shooting their air soft guns. Kaylee couldn't quite figure out how to aim for the target.
The boys drove their remote control cars around everywhere. It seemed like the boys were finding plenty to do. Kaylee just kept asking me, "So, what are we supposed to do now."
We had fun taking a little hike.
After about 1/4 of a mile, the kids had to stop for a break. Kaylee wanted to be carried.
Their were beautiful streams and waterfalls along the way.
With all this water, how could you not "accidentally" fall in. By the end of our walk all three kids had soaking wet shoes. No extra pair. Mistake #3
All that walking really got their systems moving, they all had to go you know what. I had expected toilets, so I didn't pack toilet paper. Mistake #4. We all had to pile into the car and drive down to the nearest porta potty. PHEW! Toilets! Too bad they had flies and smelt disgusting...Kaylee refused to go in.
Mike and I were quite the team at putting up the tent, although we don't all fit in there very good. After you fit in my queen size mattress, 3 pillows and 5 extra blankets, it gets a little squishy. Maybe we need to upgrade to a trailer or something?
We kids got hungry really early so we had to get our fire going so we could roast our hot dogs. Kaylee was a good help at collecting wood. But it usually helps to have matches to light it. Mistake #5. Mike had to walk down to the next camp and borrow matches. We eventually got the fire going, so the kids could start cooking their dinner. We ended up dropping about 3 or 4 hot dogs in the dirt (that didn't leave many more to eat.) The kids quickly ate their hot dogs so they could roast a GIANT marshmallows. Not kidding I found HUGE marshmallows at Harmon's. They took forever to roast. The kids lost interest with them before they were even finished. They were yummy though. We started our fire so early, that we quickly burned through what firewood we had brought. Mistake #6. It was still very light outside, but getting very cold. We all had to get cleaned up, into jammies and head into the tent for the night so we could try to stay warm.
This is were things started to get bad. The kids were so excited to be sleeping in a tent, that they quickly fell asleep. It seemed like it stayed daylight for HOURS. Mike and I just laid there, and laid there, and laid there. Finally the sun went down. and he went to bed, no problem. I just laid there, and laid there, and laid there. I kept thinking:
I used to be tough.
I used to love camping.
I really need to pee...no toilets, no toilet paper. Big problem.
It was really cold.
If I'm cold I bet the kids are cold. Check them. Nope, they're still sleeping.
Nudge Mike, yep sleeping too.
I can't stand one night camping, how am I going to endure 3 at girls camp this year?
Our family is really going to be in trouble in an emergency, we can't survive one night in the wilderness.
Did I mention how cold it was?
Kid's cold yet? Nope, still sleeping.
That's it, I was done. I just KNEW i was not going to fall asleep. I woke Mike up, and at 2:00 in the morning and my amazing, awesome husband packed us all up and drove us all home. But I need to be clear on one thing, it was for the best interest of my whole family. Father's Day would have been miserable for my husband had I not gotten any sleep at all. I came home for him. Also, my kids are under a very clear understanding that they were so cold that their teeth were chattering and they were shivering so much it was shaking the tent. I did not want them to get hypothermia. I came home for them. I cannot accept the fact that I have turned into a spoiled, high maintenance princess, that can't rough it for one night in the mountains. I need to continue to believe that I was just being generous, thinking of my family that night.
Mistake #7 Don't try roughin' it.
1.jpg)
2.jpg)
5 comments:
Ha ha.You are too funny! Sounds just like the first time we attempted with Dylan. I swore to Jeff we weren't going to try camping again for 10 yrs. Bring on the RV!
You could have blogged about just the positive things and left out that you packed up and left but then we would never know the funny quirks that happened and I would not have gotten a laugh... see blogging for real is better!
That is so funny! I love all your lessons learned. Good luck at girls camp:)
I can't stop laughing!! I'm sorry.
I have never stopped camping, and I did it in a tent for 8 years. After Brady threw up in all of our sleeping bags a few years ago, I refused to go ever again. Ryan bought me a trailer, and it has been the best thing we have ever bought. We use it all the time and we LOVE it. It is such a great way to spend time together. Ryan and I even go on our own sometimes. Don't give up. You just need to be better prepared next time. Nothing is fun when you don't have the gear you need.
P.S. Mike is amazing. Ryan would have told me to buck up and get over it. There is no way he would have packed us up and drove home at 2:00 AM. Not even when we had nasty sleeping bags, we just slept in the truck and loaded up the next day.
So totally for the family. That is awesome! I say we just stick to cooking dinner outside and then going home. So much better!
Post a Comment