12.14.2009

Goodbye...

Grandpa Frank Davis

Two and half years ago (July of 2007) Mike's family gathered in Idaho Falls for the one and only family reunion for the Davis family. Mike hadn't seen any of his cousins for who knows how long. I had never met anybody from this side of the family. Mike's dad planned this get together because we didn't know how long Grandpa would be around. He had been really sick and not doing well. We all kind of gathered together basically to say good-bye to Grandpa. Who would have known that life's path would play out as it has. After returning from this trip Mike's dad was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer and passed away 4 months later. I guess Grandpa wasn't quite ready to go. Well, last night Great-Grandpa Davis was finally able to join his son for a much better life. He was a stubborn man, and wasn't about to leave this earth until he was ready. I guess he finally decided he had had enough. I am grateful he no longer has to go through such a miserable life. I worry for Grandma, she had devoted her entire life to taking care of this man. What will she do now?

We have many great memories of visiting them in Idaho Falls. The kids favorite thing to do, was to feed the ducks with their Grandma and Grandpa. Grandpa would always get after the kids for eating the bread. They would throw a piece to the ducks, then take a piece for themselves. He had saved the bread for the ducks, and by darn the ducks should be the ones to eat it. The kids also loved going through Grandpa's golf ball collection. Even in his senile days, he would be upset when the kids would take his golf balls. He had collected about 5 garbage cans full of golf balls. I'm sure their was a story behind each and every ball that he collected.


We will miss you Grandpa. We are comforted to know that you are out of pain and without sickness. We find peace in knowing that you're with Bill now. I'm sure you guys have already had many much needed and wonderful conversations. We love you!

2 comments:

busymama said...

I am so sorry, please give Mike and your family a hug and let them know we are sorry for your loss! love you guys!

Clements Family said...

I know I already told you...but I am sorry! I can imagine how happy Bill was to greet him in heaven though!